Did you make this recipe? Comment below!
In this ultra-festive dessert, classic yellow cake gets a merry makeover with red-and-white frosting, sprinkles, and sanding sugar.
- 12 serving(s)
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 mins
- 1 c.
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 c.
- 1 tbsp.
- 1 tsp.
- 1 3/4 c.
- 2 tsp.
pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c.
whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 lb.
- 1 c.
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp.
- 2 tsp.
Red food coloring
Sanding sugar and nonpareils,for decorating
- Step 1Make cake: Heat oven to 325°F. Butter 9- by 13-inch cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper, leaving overhang on 2 sides; butter parchment.
- Step 2In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on low to combine. Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; add eggs 1 at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Step 3Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk and beating until just incorporated.
- Step 4Spread batter in prepared pan and bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool
in pan 10 minutes, then use overhangs to remove cake and let cool completely.
- Step 5Meanwhile, make buttercream frosting: Into large bowl, sift confectioners’ sugar. Using electric mixer, beat butter on medium until creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually add sifted sugar, alternating with heavy cream. Mix in vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Step 6Transfer 1 cup frosting to small bowl. Using red food coloring, tint remaining frosting bright red.
- Step 7Draw stocking shape on parchment paper and cut out to use as template. Using serrated knife, cut cake in shape of template; reserve trimmings for another use (see tip).
- Step 8Spread red frosting over cake and decorate with white frosting and sanding sugar and nonpareils as desired.
Crumble any leftover cake into fine crumbs and mix with buttercream frosting (¼ cup frosting per 1 cup cake crumbs). Roll mixture into 1-inch balls, place on parchment-lined baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Dip into melted chocolate or candy melts and chill until set.
Butterfly Layer Cake
60 Best Christmas Cake Ideas to Make This Year
25 Simple Father's Day Cake Ideas
33 Creative and Delicious Birthday Cake Recipes