The rich, caramelized flavor of pralines gives this holiday dessert staple an irresistible twist, and the extra dose of salt keeps you coming back for bite after bite. Chock-full of sweet, earthy Southern Grove Chopped Pecans from ALDI, this indulgent pie is definitely worth saving room for dessert.
- 6 - 8 serving(s)
- Prep Time:
- 15 mins
- Total Time:
- 4 hrs
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 c.
all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 tsp.
- 1/4 tsp.
- 1/2 c.
(1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into ½" pieces and chilled
- 1 tsp.
Simply Nature Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tbsp.
ice water, plus more if needed
For pecan filling:
- 1 c.
packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 oz.
light corn syrup
- 4 tbsp.
unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 c.
- 1/2 tsp.
- 2 tsp.
pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c.
Southern Grove Chopped Pecans, divided
Friendly Farms Whipped Cream, for serving
- Step 1In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, and, using your hands, mix together until pea-sized and some slightly larger pieces form. Add vinegar and then ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough starts to come together and is moist but not wet and sticky (test by squeezing some with your fingers). Mixture will be crumbly.
- Step 2Gently kneading, form dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is very cold, at least 1 hour or up to 3 days in advance.
- Step 3On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 13" circle. Transfer rolled-out dough into a 9" pie pan. Trim, leaving a 1" overhang, then tuck overhang under edge of pan. Press edges of dough with the tines of a fork, if desired. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Step 4Meanwhile, make the pecan filling: In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring mixture up to a boil, and continue to boil until it is a deep amber color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the butter, cream, and salt, whisking to combine. Continue to boil until mixture is slightly thickened and caramel-colored, about 2 minutes more. Pour into a medium, heatproof bowl and let cool 20 minutes.
- Step 5Preheat oven to 375° with a rack in the middle and bottom of the oven, and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Whisk eggs into slightly cooled praline mixture until well combined, and then add the vanilla extract. Stir in 1½ cups of the Southern Grove Chopped Pecans. Scrape pecan mixture into chilled pie crust. Sprinkle remaining cup of pecans evenly over top.
- Step 6Place prepared baking sheet on bottom oven rack to catch any drips. Bake pie on the middle rack until filling is puffed and set and crust is golden, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature, then cool completely in the refrigerator. Serve slices topped with whipped cream.
Stone Fruit and Berry Galette
Hot-Air Balloon Cookie Pops
60 Easy July 4th Recipes for a Tasty Celebration
20 Best 4th of July Menu Ideas for Every Crowd