Look no further than your grill for healthy and easy chicken fajitas—throw them over romaine hearts for added crunch.
Tip: Grilling avocado adds a smoky depth to this buttery fruit, but it only needs a minute or two—if cooked too long, it can begin to taste bitter.
- 4 serving(s)
- Total Time:
- 35 mins
- 2 8-oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 peppers (orange and yellow), quartered lengthwise
- 1 jalapeño, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
- 3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 Limes
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 packed cups cilantro (trimmed, including thin stems)
- 2 small hearts romaine, leaves separated, halved if large
- Step 1Heat grill to medium-high.
- Step 2Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and gently rub with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Step 3Grill the chicken until cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side; transfer to a cutting board. Grill the vegetables until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes per side, transferring them to a cutting board as they are done. Grill the avocado, cut side down, until charred, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 4Slice the peppers, separate the onions into rings, and dice the avocado. Let the chicken rest until ready to serve, then slice.
- Step 5Finely grate the zest of 1 lime into a blender. Squeeze in 6 tablespoon lime juice. Add the honey, cilantro, and remaining 2 tablespoon oil and purée until smooth.
- Step 6Toss the romaine with 1/4 cup of the dressing and top with the sliced peppers, onions, avocado, and chicken. Serve with the remaining dressing.
PER SERVING 358 CAL, 21.5 G FAT (3.5 G SAT FAT), 63 MG CHOL, 313 MG SOD, 26 G PRO, 17 G CAR, 6 G FIBER
34 Smoothie Recipes for a Healthier Morning
35 Easy Breakfast Ideas
103 Light Dinners That Your Family Will Love
20 Kid-Friendly Vegan Dinner Ideas