Did you make this recipe? Comment below!
Dip chocolate cookie pops in colorful candy melts for a delicious cupcake topper that'll transport you straight to cloud 9.
- 20 - 25 serving(s)
- Total Time:
- 55 mins
14.3-oz pkg. chocolate sandwich cookies (we used Oreos)
8-oz pkg. cream cheese, cut into large pieces
to 22 5-in. lollipop sticks
- 12 oz.
candy melts in assorted colors (at least 4 oz for each color)
- 1 1/2 tbsp.
coconut oil, divided
For royal icing
- 2 c.
- 1 1/2 tbsp.
Gel food coloring
to 22 frosted cupcakes
- Step 1Make pops: Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In food processor, pulse cookies into fine crumbs. Add cream cheese and pulse, scraping sides of bowl as necessary, until doughlike mass forms.
- Step 2Using 2-tablespoons cookie scoop, drop mounds onto prepared baking sheet. Freeze 5 minutes.
- Step 3Using hands, roll each cookie mound into a ball, then shape 1 end into tapered point. Freeze 5 minutes.
- Step 4Cup each ball in palm and gently insert lollipop stick into tapered end. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, up to overnight, or freeze up to 6 weeks (transfer frozen pops to resealable bag or container after 3 hours.).
- Step 5In bowl, microwave 4 ounces candy melts and ½ tablespoon oil at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth, 1½ to 2 minutes. Let pops and candy melt coating sit at room temperature 10 minutes (see Tip).
- Step 6Hold each pop over candy melts and spoon coating on top, rotating stick, until hot-air balloon is completely coated. Hold stick at 60° angle and gently tap against rim of bowl to let excess coating drip off. Insert into lollipop holder or cupcake to set, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 7Repeat melting and coating with each color of candy melts.
- Step 8Make royal icing: In large bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder, and 4 tablespoons water. Icing should be thick and smooth but not hold its shape for more than 15 seconds. when stirred. Thin with more water as needed.
- Step 9Decorate pops: Divide icing into 3 bowls and stir in food coloring to tint as desired. Transfer to piping bags and snip off small tip from each. Pipe onto pops and decorate with sanding sugar and nonpareils as desired.
- Step 10Skewer 1 gumdrop on each lollipop stick to create “basket” and insert sticks into cupcakes.
WD Test Kitchen Tip: If your cookie pop cracks, your candy melts are too warm and/or your pops are too cold. Allow more time for your candy melts to cool and your cookie pops to warm up. If your cookie pops get too warm, they may slide off the lollipop sticks. To help prevent this, microwave each batch of candy melts and let 7 pops sit at room temp at a time, leaving the uncoated ones in the refrigerator.
Stone Fruit and Berry Galette
60 Easy July 4th Recipes for a Tasty Celebration
20 Best 4th of July Menu Ideas for Every Crowd
27 Refreshing Summer Soup Recipes